Spring showers are in the forecast, and we’re here to help with our latest in the Promo 101 series: Your guide to promotional umbrellas. According to Shedrain, one of the nation’s largest umbrella manufacturers, people keep promotional umbrellas for an average of 14 months! If you are looking for a practical giveaway with a strong ROI, we’ve got you covered.
Why promotional umbrellas?
If you’ve ever collected sizes for an apparel giveaway and crossed your fingers that they would fit, you know that a one-size-fits-all promotion can save both time and energy. The long-term retention factor and universal appeal also make promotional umbrellas a great choice for your next campaign!
What’s your budget?
One of the first things you need to consider when you start umbrella shopping is budget. We offer umbrellas starting as low as $6-8, so we can help you find the best option available to you. The type of materials used and certain features can make the price go up or down. For example, if you want a budget-friendly option for less than $10, you’ll need to go with standard metal ribs. However, if you want a more durable umbrella? Opt for fiberglass ribs that bend and flex when it’s windy.
How can you tell how big an umbrella is?
We use the word “arc” to describe the size of an umbrella. It’s essentially the size of the canopy, and we get that number by measuring from tip to tip. This info tells us how much area (and how many people) an umbrella can cover, and we measure this in inches. Check out this diagram from our vendor, PCNA, for a better view. When you’re reading a product description for an umbrella, you’ll also want to note how long the umbrella is when it’s closed. (Typically, a description might say “Arc: 48 inches. Closed: 15 inches.”) That “closed” dimension tells you how much space it’s going to take up when you store it.
What are the most common types of umbrellas?
- Compact (also known as “folding”): Compact umbrellas fold so that they close easily and don’t take up a lot of room when stored. These usually have a smaller arc and make the perfect size for a personal umbrella that you can stash in the car or bag. The average length, when closed, is 10 to 20 inches.
- Stick: A stick umbrella doesn’t fold, so it tends to take up more space when stored. These usually have a bigger arc, and the average length, when closed, is 30 to 37 inches.
- Golf: Designed to protect from sun and rain, golf umbrellas are generally much larger than a regular umbrella. With a canopy that’s 55″+, they usually cover both the cart and the golfer. (They can also be used to cover more than one person.) They come in either a solid stick or folding form and the average length, when closed, is 37 to 45 inches.
What special features and materials are available?
Some of our bestselling options include:
- Auto open & Close: Opens & closes with the push of a button.
- Auto open: Opens with the push of a button
- Manual: Opens and closes manually (this is common in our most budget-friendly options.)
- Vented canopy: It has flaps at the top that allow air to pass throw, which prevents your umbrella from blowing inside out or breaking on a windy day.
- Fiberglass ribs: As noted in the budget section, this material is non-corrosive, highly durable, and lightweight, so it’s used in higher quality umbrellas.
- Windproof: Incorporates a variety of design features to withstand windy conditions (See video below for a demo!)
Umbrellas featured in this video include:
- 42″ Color Pop Vented Windproof Umbrella
- 46″ Color Accent Auto Open Umbrella
- 42″ Auto Open Windproof Umbrella
Where do you put the logo?
Most often, we showcase your logo on one or more of the panels on the top of the canopy. Standard pricing usually includes the logo on one panel, but for an additional charge, you can print it on more than one panel. Some branded umbrella styles include a wide wraparound closure tab or even an imprint on the handle. You can even go completely custom for a full photo-quality imprint across the entire canopy.
What about warranties?
Some of our brands offer a lifetime warranty on their umbrellas (even the lower-priced options) so this really takes the pressure off when you’re deciding on a promo item for your next promotion. Ask your sales rep for more details.